Homi Bhabha Centre for Science Education (HBCSE) is a national centre of the Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (TIFR), Mumbai. The broad goals of the centre are to promote equity and excellence in science and mathematics education from primary school to undergraduate college level. It is India’s nodal centre for Olympiad programmes in Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and Astronomy.
Applications are invited from teachers and educators for Olympiad Exposure Camp in Physics which will be organised at HBCSE, Mumbai during 20 to 24 November 2023. The camp is not intended for students and they need not apply.
The primary objective of the camp is to raise awareness about the national and international Physics Olympiad programme. It will provide insights into both academic and organizational aspects of the Physics Olympiad. A significant part of the camp will focus on Physics Education Research (PER). The camp also encourages meaningful interactions among educators, fostering collaboration and innovation within the teaching community. This camp is one of the gateways to get involved in the activities of the Indian national Physics Olympiad programme.
Camp Dates, Venue and Structure:
The Olympiad Exposure Camp in Physics will be an in-person camp held at HBCSE, Mumbai, from 20 to 24 November 2023. The first part of the camp will consist of a number of lectures, tutorials, and laboratory sessions on the theoretical and experimental components of the Physics Olympiad programme. The latter part of the camp will overlap with a national workshop on Physics Education, held as part of the golden jubilee celebrations of HBCSE. In this workshop, renowned physics teachers and physics education researchers from across the country will discuss innovative teaching approaches and pedagogy, and insights from PER.
Travel and Accommodation:
Participants will be reimbursed to and fro travel fare as per their entitlement (maximum II-AC train fare). If you choose to travel by air, only the corresponding train fare will be reimbursed. Regular attendance in the camp for the entire duration is mandatory for travel support. Food and shared accommodation at HBCSE will be provided for all participants. Kindly note that due to the limited availability, accommodation is provided only for the duration of the camp, and only for the participants and not for any accompanying family members.
Who can apply?
- Educators from different sectors, i.e., university/college teachers of physics, high school/secondary science teachers can apply.
- Applicants below the age of 23 years will not be considered.
- Educational qualification (B.Sc/M.Sc./PhD) in Physics, and/or allied subjects (Astronomy, Applied Physics, Mathematics, etc.) or B.Tech./B.E. is required.
- Participants of Physics Olympiad Exposure Camp in the last five years will not be considered again. Other past participants may be considered subject to availability of seats.
- Previous participants of Olympiad Exposure Camps in other subjects may be considered subject to availability of seats.
- Click here to fill out the online application form.
- Last date of application: 10 September 2023.
- Intimation regarding selection will be put on the HBCSE website by 25 September 2023.
- Selected participants will also be invited through an official letter sent over email.
- Any queries regarding the camp can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org