Important announcement regarding next stages of Indian National Mathematical Olympiad programme
The National Olympiad programme in Mathematics culminating in International Mathematical Olympiad in 2020 is severely affected by the ongoing COVID-19 crisis. In this regard, the following decisions are announced.
- Participation in International Mathematical Olympiad in 2020 would be guided strongly by consideration of safety of the students and the mentors during their travel and stay abroad. At appropriate stages in the process, the Govt. of India (as well as the govt of the host country if necessary) will be approached for explicit clearance to proceed. Further continuation of the selection and training processes will be subject to obtaining the necessary clearances.
- A TENTATIVE revised schedule for IMOTC 2020 is announced below. This schedule is subject to change at very short notice.
IMOTC 2020 tentative schedule:
- Dates: May 1 – May 29, 2020
- Mode of conduct: Online.
- Tentative Team Selection Test Dates: July 27, 28, 29, 30, 2020.
(In view of the current situation it is not possible to conduct selection test in June as planned earlier)
- Team Selection Test Venues: INMO exam centres of the regions that the IMOTC 2020 students belong to.
- Arbitration and announcement of team: Dates to be announced later
Please note that HBCSE keeps track of various entrance examinations and academic sessions of educational institutions. While every effort will be made to enable maximum number of students to attend the IMOTC 2020, avoiding a clash with their other academic interests, it may not be possible to adjust the schedule to suit every student, especially under the current extraordinary circumstances. Students and parents are requested not to approach HBCSE with specific requests of change of dates.
The schedule announced above is under the assumption that conditions prevailing in the country after June 15, 2020 permit normal movement of people and safe travel to the selection test venues. The selection tests may be cancelled if this would not be the case.In the event that the International Mathematical Olympiad in 2020 is cancelled, the IMOTC 2020 will be cancelled as well.
Irrespective of future eventualities, all students who secured marks in INMO 2020 above the cutoff marks will be awarded INMO Awardee certificate by HBCSE.
In the event that it is impossible to conduct the selection tests in time to select an Indian team for the International Mathematical Olympiad in 2020, a suitable method of selection will be announced at an appropriate time.