5 – 8 November 2019
Introduction: Homi Bhabha Centre for Science Education (HBCSE) is a national centre of the Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (TIFR), Mumbai. The broad goals of the centre are to promote equity and excellence in science and mathematics education from primary school to undergraduate college level. It is India’s nodal centre for Olympiad programmes in Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Astronomy, and Junior Science.
Camp Objective: The primary objective of this camp is to spread awareness about the national Olympiad programme, in particular, the Astronomy Olympiad. An orientation towards the academic and organizational aspects of the Astronomy Olympiad will be provided. The camp also serves as a platform for productive interaction within the teacher community.
Camp Structure: The camp will consist of multiple lecture sessions and tutorials on different topics in astronomy such as celestial mechanics, observational astronomy, positional astronomy and observable properties of stars. Night sky observation sessions, including telescope handling, will also be held.
Travel and Accommodation:
Participants will be reimbursed to and fro travel fare as per their entitlement (maximum II-AC). Food and accommodation in the HBCSE Guest House will be provided for all participants.
Who can apply?
- Astronomy educators from different sectors, i.e., university/college teachers of physics or astronomy, high school science teachers (with background in physics/mathematics), astronomy outreach personnel from scientific institutions, staff of planetaria and science museums as well as active amateur astronomers are encouraged to apply.
- Applicants below age of 23 years will not be considered.
- It is preferred that the participants have a background in Physics and/or Mathematics.
- Previous participants of Astronomy Olympiad Exposure Camp will not be considered again.
- Previous participants of Olympiad Exposure Camps in other subjects may be considered subject to availability of seats.
- A strong interest in learning basic astronomy is essential to derive any benefit from the camp.
How to Apply?
- Click here to fill the online application form.
- Astronomy Olympiad Exposure Camp 2019 (Click here for the list of invited teachers)
- Click here to view the time table
- Click here to view the workshop report
- Last date of application: 30 September 2019.
- Intimation regarding selection will be put on the HBCSE website by 3 October 2019.
- Selected teachers will also be invited through an official letter sent over email.
- Any queries regarding the camp can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org